Sunday 24 May 2015

Break away. Historic sites and inspiration.

Last weekend I went up to Northumberland. There were seven of us, me and my other half, my mum and dad, and my sister, Craig and my little niece, Faith. It was a nice relaxing break away. Friday to Monday. 

As some people know, I have a love of history. I especially enjoy visiting historic places. It’s a passion, and I also get to do some of my photography. While I was away, I was able to put my English Heritage pass to use, and visited Lindisfarne Priory and Etal Castle. Both places were beautiful and very inspirational. There is just something about these ruins that fascinates me. When I walk around them my imagination goes into overdrive. I can almost imagine myself walking through them hundreds of years ago. I can picture the people walking past me and going about their lives. I often think that if the walls could talk, they would share some amazing stories and secrets. To me, it’s magical.

I wish I could feature all of these places in my books, and who knows, if I continue to write for the rest of my life (which is what I dream of) maybe I will be able to. 

I thought I would share some of the photos on here. One, in case they can provide inspiration for others, and two, because they are simply beautiful. 

Please note. You do NOT have permission to take these photos. They are copyrighted to me. This is embedded in the photos metadata. I'm sorry for the copyright symbols that have blocked some of the detail on the photos. But I do NOT want people taking these and using them as they wish.

Lindisfarne Priory

Lindisfarne Priory on Holy Island was one of the most important centres of early Christianity in Anglo-Saxon England. It is still a place of pilgrimage today, the dramatic approach across the causeway adding to the fascination of the site.
 
St Aidan founded the monastery in AD 635, but St Cuthbert, prior of Lindisfarne, is the most celebrated of the priory's holy men. Buried in the priory, his remains were transferred to a pilgrim shrine there after 11 years, and found still undecayed - a sure sign of sanctity.


























Etal Castle

Etal Castle is a ruined medieval fortification in the village of Etal, Northumberland, England. It was built around 1341 by Robert Manners, and comprised a residential tower, a gatehouse and a corner tower, protected by a curtain wall.













I'm now looking forward to going away again. I just have no idea where we're going yet. For now, it's back to writing and my art. 



No comments:

Post a Comment